Saturday, April 7, 2007

golf on saturday

played golf with goliath, chetty and goliath's dad. i played golf yesterday and hit a bunch of balls so my right forearm was a bit stiff. i just wanted to hold it together today. as i was hitting balls to warm up before the round, i was all over the place. left, right, fades, draws, straight. the problem was that i did not know what shot was going to come next. hitting off the grass range was very helpful since fat shots are truly fat (whereas fat shots off a mat can look grand). i spent a lot of time chipping off the grass range. something that helped my chipping was to keep the left arm straight...no bend in the left elbow to prevent fat or thin chips...i was wild off the tee the previous day so i hit three 4 wood shots off the grass, three chips and three irons...this pattern allowed me to focus on my weak 4 wood and the ever important chips...

first hole...pushed drive to the right of the fairway...it was a grand drive and i had a clean second shot. i hooked my second shot ob...ended up with a triple...not a good start...second hole...ob off the tee...not a good way to start the second hole...ended up with a double...third hole...tee'd up with my seven wood and pushed it...lucked out and had a clean approach...was on the green in regulation and parred. fourth hole...KILLED my drive...chetty said he'd never seen a drive this long on this hole...it was a 250 yd drive but all uphill...got it very close with my second shot and birdied...fifth hole, shot a 180 yard tee shot with my six iron to get up close to the hole for an easy par...sixth hole, nailed another tee shot and got another par...seventh, killed it off the tee. goliath works for taylor made and has a great game...it was fun to out drive his hi tech taylor made driver with my calloway 4 wood. he was giving me shit for not using a driver. i explained that gene sarazen had the best shot in the history of golf with a 4 wood so i figured the more i played with a 4 wood, the luckier i could be. he also told me to get some golf shoes. i play in topsiders (which are awesome to sail in but not the best grip for golf). ended up with a sandy par on the seventh. the 8th was another par three and walked away with a par in regulation. i killed it off the tee on the 9th. used my 4 wood on the approach and was JUST off the green in two...a simple chip away from an eagle...ok, i was on the far side of the green and managed an easy par after missing my birdie putt.

40 on the front nine...not bad after two ob's on the first two holes.

on the back nine goliath insited i play from the blues and use a driver...i psyched myself out with this combo and collected a bunch of bogeys, doubles and triples for an ugly back nine...

No comments: